Monday, October 5, 2009

Update from the Grad Office

I am in the office I share with perhaps forty or fifty other graduate students who teach English 150.

Today, it smells strongly of waffles.

And it occurs to me, as a person who ate a granola bar for breakfast and who seldom eats lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays, that this is not, in fact, calculated torture. You see, scents are not simply waves like light and sound--smell is produced only by the presence of actual tiny particles from the source.

I am consuming, in a sense, extremely modest portions of wheat, butter, sugar, maple.

Today, a friendly colleague has unknowingly served me lunch.

4 comments:

  1. My most and least favorite is when someone cooks popcorn in the microwave. It's my favorite because I absolutely adore the smell of popcorn. It's my least favorite because then people don't share the popcorn and an extremely modest portion of popcorn is just not enough. Also, popcorn smell takes about 12 hours to disappear. The popcorn smell only smells good for the first 30 minutes, and then reminds me slightly of rotting leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My least favorite is when people microwave rotting leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really makes me think that you should eat more, if you consider smelling food lunch. As a person who must eat something every two hours, or I start to panic,this post was most disturbing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So a vegetarian in her cubicle smelling a microwaved pork chop is being unwittingly force-fed by her coworker? Perhaps she can sue. HAHA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails